Read a good book recently?

Keep on Lulzing
Van Halen are Fucking Pump
Posting Freak

Read a good book recently?

Postby Van Halen are Fucking Pump » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:09 am

On Saturday morning, I went to get the It's Always Sunny book to read in bath. Very easy read, and very funny, so it was ideal. Fucked if I could find it though, but I did come across my all time favourite book. Catch 22. My God, it's the funniest thing you can ever read. I remember thinking it takes time to get going, but after three chapters I was laughing my head off. It's incredible.

Had the last Adrian Mole book, a series that I love, to read, and the book Stoner, for ages now, so I'm hoping this will kick start me getting back into reading. Used to go through one or two a month years back.

VAN HALEN
Posting Freak

Re: Read a good book recently?

Postby VAN HALEN » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:42 am

Yeah I still read. Not as much as I used to, when I was driving the lorries I had so much time to sit around getting paid to read. Plowed through loads tbf, loved it.

Bit harder to find the the time now but I still do. Currently on a novel called Jerusalem by the mighty Alan Moore (he wrote Watchmen,. V for Vendetta and many other awesome things) and it's absolutely mental. It's sort of brilliant and funny and he lives in Northampton which I know reasonably well so it's quite a fascinating read. Taking fucking ages though as its massive.

Posting Freak

Postby Van Halen are Fucking Pump » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:48 am

Yeah, Catch 22 is a couple of inches thick, but it's a pleasure tbf.

Roly
Posting Freak

Postby Roly » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:54 am

a couple of inches thick, but it's a pleasure tbf.
:icon_lol:

Posting Freak

Postby Van Halen are Fucking Pump » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:55 am

a couple of inches thick, but it's a pleasure tbf.
:icon_lol:
Yeah, OK :icon_lol: :picardfacepalm:

VAN HALEN
Posting Freak

Postby VAN HALEN » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:56 am

:Pogba:

VAN HALEN
Posting Freak

Postby VAN HALEN » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:23 pm

When I saw the trailer for that Dune movie I thought I’d read the book before it comes out as I’ve been meaning to read it for years.

The film is now delayed but I’m loving the book. I’m annoyed it’s taken me this long to get around to it. You can see how much of a blueprint it is for later sci fi/fantasy stuff (Star Wars very much included) and considering it was written in 1965 it still stands up really well.

Posting Freak

Postby Van Halen are Fucking Pump » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:47 pm

It's a series of books isn't it?

I think he died before he finished them so other people wrote them and they went to shit.

VAN HALEN
Posting Freak

Postby VAN HALEN » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:21 am

I think it’s a trilogy. My mate is on the third one, he said the decline is quite severe after book one. This first one is great though.

VAN HALEN
Posting Freak

Postby VAN HALEN » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:07 am

Dave I can highly recommend a book called The Sugar Frosted Nutsack by Mark Leyner. You’d love it. I’m only half way through but it’s very entertaining.

I got it for 99p on the kindle a couple of weeks back, not sure if it’s still that price. Quality author.

VAN HALEN
Posting Freak

Postby VAN HALEN » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:39 pm

Been smashing through books lately. I love it. Now lockdown is easing it’ll probably slow down but I’ve been really enjoying picking up the kindle instead of faffing scrolling through social media and all that pointless bollocks.

Anyways there’s a fantasy series I am obsessed with, it’s fucking huge and all kinds of epic. If they turned it into a show there would be enough source material to keep going for decades. I know the fantasy genre is a bit nerd core but without it we wouldn’t have got Game of Thrones.

In case anyone is interested

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_B ... the_Fallen

It really is quite something.

Posting Freak

Postby Van Halen are Fucking Pump » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:47 pm

I wish I still read books.

VAN HALEN
Posting Freak

Postby VAN HALEN » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:08 pm

Do it then. Once you get in the rhythm it soon comes back. Just gotta stop with twitter/facebook/whatever. That's dead time.

Lap
Posting Freak

Postby Lap » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:31 am

AA77D4F6-CACE-4717-B684-3A867BC790ED.png
AA77D4F6-CACE-4717-B684-3A867BC790ED.png (735.42 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
250 pages of brilliant stuff. Dark , funny , makes you glad not to have been born into the America of then

VAN HALEN
Posting Freak

Postby VAN HALEN » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:50 pm

My Kindle tells me I have read 30 books this year :icon_eek:

I’m on a big science fiction binge at the moment. Just finished a book called House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds which is bloody marvellous.

Just started a classic Arthur C Clarke book called Rendezvous with Rama which is so far so intriguing, but at one point he ends a chapter talking about big science type concepts then the next chapter starts with ‘Commander such and such didn’t think women should be allowed senior positions in space because the effect zero gravity has on their breasts is more distracting than any red blooded man should be expected to take’ :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_uhoh:

Then you remember that this book was written in 1973 and it’s like, yeah ok, moving on :icon_lol:

Return to “4thelulz”