Souness apologises for talking to the s*n

Miles as well have a forum for everything Football
darkvoid
Posting Freak

Souness apologises for talking to the s*n

Postby darkvoid » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:12 pm

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-n ... -i-m-sorry

Graeme Souness has spoken of his deep regret over the interview he conducted with The Sun newspaper during his time as Liverpool manager.

The former Reds midfielder was featured in the tabloid following the club's FA Cup semi-final triumph over Portsmouth, a story that was held back and published on April 15, 1992.

He admits it was a mistake that has haunted him to this day and insists he is deeply sorry for the hurt caused when the article appeared on the third anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster.

Speaking on Sky Sports' Goals on Sunday yesterday, Souness said: "I accept I made one almighty rick by doing The Sun newspaper.

"At the time I didn't realise the strength of feeling against the Sun newspaper. When I was manager of Liverpool, there were players in my team dealing with the Sun newspaper. There were ex-players dealing with that newspaper.

"My problem was that I agreed to do an exclusive with them. The thing that really killed me, and makes me sad today is that the last thing I want to do is upset any Liverpool supporter - especially the people damaged by Hillsborough - in whatever shape of form.

"There were a series of circumstances. I agreed to have a picture taken after the FA Cup replay against Portsmouth. The game went to extra-time. I said you can only have a picture if we get through.

"I was in hospital with my girlfriend who is now my wife. We had our picture taken but that was after extra-time and penalties. That picture was meant to go in on the Tuesday but because it had gone to extra-time and penalties, it missed the deadline.

"So it went in on the Wednesday. The Wednesday was the anniversary of Hillsborough and that killed me.

"The local journalist for The Sun at the time was Mike Ellis, who was away on holiday and was the one person who could have said to The Sun newspaper's office, you just can't do that.

"So I hold my hands up. I'm still a Liverpool supporter. They are still my team. There is no one who hurts more than me whenever the Hillsborough thing is mentioned. It hurts me because I had a great time as a player at Liverpool and I'd like to think I had a great relationship with the supporters at the time, and it hurts me.

"I can only apologise and it's something I have to live with."
Brendan, the end is nigh :icon_thumbsup:

Lap
Posting Freak

RE: Souness apologises for talking to the s*n

Postby Lap » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:04 pm

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-n ... -i-m-sorry

Graeme Souness has spoken of his deep regret over the interview he conducted with The Sun newspaper during his time as Liverpool manager.

The former Reds midfielder was featured in the tabloid following the club's FA Cup semi-final triumph over Portsmouth, a story that was held back and published on April 15, 1992.

He admits it was a mistake that has haunted him to this day and insists he is deeply sorry for the hurt caused when the article appeared on the third anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster.

Speaking on Sky Sports' Goals on Sunday yesterday, Souness said: "I accept I made one almighty rick by doing The Sun newspaper.

"At the time I didn't realise the strength of feeling against the Sun newspaper. When I was manager of Liverpool, there were players in my team dealing with the Sun newspaper. There were ex-players dealing with that newspaper.

"My problem was that I agreed to do an exclusive with them. The thing that really killed me, and makes me sad today is that the last thing I want to do is upset any Liverpool supporter - especially the people damaged by Hillsborough - in whatever shape of form.

"There were a series of circumstances. I agreed to have a picture taken after the FA Cup replay against Portsmouth. The game went to extra-time. I said you can only have a picture if we get through.

"I was in hospital with my girlfriend who is now my wife. We had our picture taken but that was after extra-time and penalties. That picture was meant to go in on the Tuesday but because it had gone to extra-time and penalties, it missed the deadline.

"So it went in on the Wednesday. The Wednesday was the anniversary of Hillsborough and that killed me.

"The local journalist for The Sun at the time was Mike Ellis, who was away on holiday and was the one person who could have said to The Sun newspaper's office, you just can't do that.

"So I hold my hands up. I'm still a Liverpool supporter. They are still my team. There is no one who hurts more than me whenever the Hillsborough thing is mentioned. It hurts me because I had a great time as a player at Liverpool and I'd like to think I had a great relationship with the supporters at the time, and it hurts me.

"I can only apologise and it's something I have to live with."
He said pretty much the same thing as that on the Off the Ball interview last Wed night.
Although he has apologised for it, there will still be those who wont forget, which is a shame.

darkvoid
Posting Freak

Postby darkvoid » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:18 am

i think its genuine . its just a shame it's overshadowed what was a wonderful career for us. he'd probably make it into the liverpool all time best 11 but he's tarnished his legacy forevery
Brendan, the end is nigh :icon_thumbsup:

Lap
Posting Freak

Postby Lap » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:46 am

i think its genuine . its just a shame it's overshadowed what was a wonderful career for us. he'd probably make it into the liverpool all time best 11 but he's tarnished his legacy forevery
For me, it does not overshadow the achievements on the pitch, but then again i did not lose anyone close tio me at Hillsborough.It was shortsighted and niave of him though.

I wonder did Sky know that he was going to come out with that yesterday? and if so woulsd they have permitted it to be said live on air since there is a direct link between the 2 organisations.

Return to “Football Forum”