Postby darkvoid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:42 pm

that links is not working but if its what i read earlier

Sacking Roy Hodgson is not enough for Liverpool's Spanish stars

• Torres and Reina want high-profile manager
• Money must also be available for transfers

* Sid Lowe in Madrid and Andy Hunter
* guardian.co.uk, Thursday 6 January 2011 21.28 GMT
* Article history

Roy Hodgson is facing pressure from all sides as he struggles to stay in charge at Anfield. Photograph: Press Association Images

Liverpool's new owners have been warned that even the sacking of Roy Hodgson might not be enough to stave off an exodus of their key players, including Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina. Although the manager's departure appears inevitable, and the two Spanish players would not leave during the winter transfer window, frustration at the club's inertia means they will go in the summer if they are not convinced by the new manager and handed reassurances of major investment.

The choice currently before Liverpool's owners, John W Henry and Tom Werner, is a huge one which will bring with it significant consequences. For some senior players sacking Hodgson is a step in the right direction. But while Hodgson continuing at the club would guarantee summer departures, his exit does not necessarily mean that Liverpool will be able to keep hold of their most important assets. With Liverpool immersed in a sale process last summer moves were blocked for Steven Gerrard, Torres and Reina; this year, it will be harder to prevent their departure. Liverpool quoted prices so prohibitive as to be a "not for sale" sign. At the same time reassurances were made regarding ambitions. Hopes had been pinned on new ownership and massive investment. As yet only half of that proposition has come to pass.

The arrival of a recognised, high-achieving coach will be vital if they are not to push for a transfer. Didier Deschamps, who was interviewed for the job last summer and remains a favoured candidate, appeared to rule himself out yesterday. The Marseille coach said: "When I talk about being the coach of Marseille in the new stadium, I mean it. It is an idea that pleases me. Now, 2014 is a very long way away in my profession. But I have said people should understand I am not a tramp. I proved it last year. I could have left."

Key Anfield squad members have been dismayed by the lack of activity from the new owners since they took over in mid‑October.

The lack of activity in this transfer window only increases that impression, with the club currently considering an offer for the Tottenham defender Vedran Corluka. Players feel that promises have been broken before and will not endure another season of underachievement and uncertainty.

Possible destinations are already being studied in case they should be required, but no decisions have been taken. Those clubs that tabled bids for Gerrard, Torres, Reina and Dirk Kuyt last summer are not necessarily expected to return 12 months on. The players are not expected to consider a move to Manchester United.

Following Liverpool's 3-1 defeat against Blackburn Hodgson refused to discuss a possible sacking, saying: "I am not prepared to talk about my future. At this moment I am depressed enough with the performance and the result. I am not here to talk about that. I have no comments to make and I don't intend to answer any questions on the subject." The club's director of communications then brought the press conference to a close and there was no indication from the owners today that they intend to change manager before Sunday's FA Cup third-round tie at Manchester United.

But Hodgson's days at Anfield are numbered. Fans have railed against him – he was met with graffiti at the club's training ground yesterday – and pressure builds to replace him. Progress is stalled by the absence of a chief executive at Anfield and the fact that the New England Sports Ventures group that owns the club continues to be based in the United States.

There has also been little opportunity over the Christmas period properly to discuss the club's next move. Kenny Dalglish, who currently occupies an ambassadorial role, made it clear that he wanted the manager's job in the summer before the former regime employed Hodgson – and he is still keen to take charge. There is, however, a reluctance to make a definitive decision at this stage, which only increases the uncertainty. With the situation being monitored closely by key players, it is a decision that must be made carefully.

----------------------------------
Brendan, the end is nigh :icon_thumbsup:

Damie Karras
Posting Freak

RE: ROY SACKED

Postby Damie Karras » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:00 pm

I bet it was Roy keane in the link :rollol:

darkvoid
Posting Freak

Postby darkvoid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:47 pm

there`s only one thing worse that hodgson stayin in the the job and thats hodgson getting sacked and sammy lee getting the job as caretaker manager :sno: :sno:

scary thought that :uhyes:
Last edited by darkvoid on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VAN HALEN
Posting Freak

Postby VAN HALEN » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:07 pm

I bet it was Roy keane in the link :rollol:
I figured it would make a nice change from the many many many hodgso that already exist :icon_rolleyes:

spy
Posting Freak

Postby spy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:43 pm

oooh The Prince would ban you for this....
Did I watch the match last night? I was there mate.

VAN HALEN
Posting Freak

Postby VAN HALEN » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:13 pm

Would he? Has he got something against being lighthearted?

spy
Posting Freak

Postby spy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:15 pm

Would he? Has he got something against being lighthearted?
You decide:

I'm sick of Liverpool Football Club.

I'm reading Kenny's book and it's great and depressing in equal measure. True there are lots of 'hilarious' wind up stories etc but there's a sense of respect for what the players, club and fans were doing. Do we have that today? The players are shithouses and have been for a while, the club have new owners and it's too early to see if they're the business and the fans are either pro-Rafa/anti Rafa, anti-Roy/give him a chance (although that's changing, vehement in their protests or 'a disgrace to the fan base with their personal attacks.

I thought once H & G went the club would unite but that was a pipe dream. Everything about this club at the moment is a sludge of shit.

Time to support my time in private again.

darkvoid
Posting Freak

Postby darkvoid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:42 pm

Van Halen are Fucking Pump
Posting Freak

Postby Van Halen are Fucking Pump » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:06 pm

These threads are worse than Hitler.

spy
Posting Freak

Postby spy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:23 pm

Given the thread a Hitler moustache.

darkvoid
Posting Freak

Postby darkvoid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:44 pm

didn't red4life86 get banned for starting a poll for a laugh about rafa's beard

spy
Posting Freak

Postby spy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:36 pm

didn't red4life86 get banned for starting a poll for a laugh about rafa's beard
No idea.

Damie Karras
Posting Freak

Postby Damie Karras » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:19 am

He did

darkvoid
Posting Freak

Postby darkvoid » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:00 am

he also gave us that gem 'you support your liverpool and i'll support mine'

spy
Posting Freak

Postby spy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:03 am

he also gave us that gem 'you support your liverpool and i'll support mine'
He's still posting...

Return to “Football Forum”