Favourite games of all time

User avatar
Le Cut Inside Mane
Posting Freak
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:45 am

Favourite games of all time

Postby Le Cut Inside Mane » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:19 am

Pretty sure I've made this thread a number of times but this time pick your top 3 and why.

1. Hard to pick a favorite but for pure immersion, way ahead of its time and no other game has taken me aback and pulled me in since: Shenmue.

2. OoT, seems an obvious choice but it's a brilliant game. Hasn't aged a bit to me and still play this once or twice a year and still enjoy the shit out of it (apart from the N64 controller, utter aids)

3. MGS1. My favorite game series, I'd put it at number 1 but I'm putting it third as its a series instead of a single game. Every game has been amazing. I played MGS1 as a kid and then MGS2 & 3 came out when I was in my teens and I got into the story and nuances of the story (similar to you lot growing up with Star Wars) and it blew my mind.
.

L8rb@se
Posting Freak
Posts: 21203
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby L8rb@se » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Red Dead Redemption. People moan about it being basically cowboy GTA, same missions etc but I think Rockstar nailed it. The feel, the look, the story, all spot on. Looking forward to the next one big time.

Fallout. I can't choose out of 3, New Vegas or 4 so just take your pick. Probably 3 was technically the best. Just a great series, so immersive and creative and atmospheric and dark and witty.

Half Life 2. Don't really need to say much about that one.

Honourable mention to MGS4 for being the first 'next gen' game I ever played on PS3, the graphics and style just blew me away. And that little callback to msg1 when you get to Shadow Moses was just awesome.

Other honourable mention to Skyrim. Just the sheer scale of it was immense, and so well done.

L8rb@se
Posting Freak
Posts: 21203
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby L8rb@se » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:19 pm

Oh yeah and Kotor.

User avatar
Oh Dear
Posting Freak
Posts: 35389
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:23 am
Location: My life is dope and I do dope sht.
Contact:

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby Oh Dear » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:22 pm

Hard to pick one.

Half Life Two is the game I played the most. RE2. Jedi Knight was excellent, MGS. It goes on and on.

User avatar
Le Cut Inside Mane
Posting Freak
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:45 am

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby Le Cut Inside Mane » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:50 pm

L8rb@se wrote:Red Dead Redemption. People moan about it being basically cowboy GTA, same missions etc but I think Rockstar nailed it. The feel, the look, the story, all spot on. Looking forward to the next one big time.

RDR is brilliant, the mission where you enter Mexico and the music kicks in :pounditrotate:

Fallout. I can't choose out of 3, New Vegas or 4 so just take your pick. Probably 3 was technically the best. Just a great series, so immersive and creative and atmospheric and dark and witty.

New Vegas for me, I've played through it about 6 times with different builds. The mods on PC take it to another level.

Half Life 2. Don't really need to say much about that one.

Yep. Fuck Valve for no Half life 3/Episode 3 though.

Honourable mention to MGS4 for being the first 'next gen' game I ever played on PS3, the graphics and style just blew me away. And that little callback to msg1 when you get to Shadow Moses was just awesome.

The fucking goosebumps I got when I first played that mission. When The Best Is Yet To Come started playing I screamed out loud and nearly cried with joy afterwards. Took me right back to being a kid. Might dig my PS3 out later and play this.



Other honourable mention to Skyrim. Just the sheer scale of it was immense, and so well done.



Oh Dear wrote:Hard to pick one.

Half Life Two is the game I played the most. RE2. Jedi Knight was excellent, MGS. It goes on and on.


You reminded me of Silent Hill 2 with Resident Evil 2. I can't usually play horror games but SH2 is one of my favorite games of all time, that would be my honorable mention. Brilliantly written story and the pace of the game was perfect.

User avatar
Macho Man Randy Savage
Posting Freak
Posts: 13389
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:33 pm

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby Macho Man Randy Savage » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:06 pm

From the other thead you made on this J Row

Macho Man Randy Savage wrote:I couldn't pick just one game for me that's impossible.

Multiplayer games it's : PES 6, Micro Machines 2, SF2 Turbo.

Single player: GTA : Vice City and San Andreas. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, Resi 4, Duke Nukem 3D, several Amiga games i have very fond memories of.


Prolly add MGS3 to the single player list as well now I think about it and Black Ops 1 to the multiplayer list.

User avatar
Oh Dear
Posting Freak
Posts: 35389
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:23 am
Location: My life is dope and I do dope sht.
Contact:

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby Oh Dear » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:57 pm

Yeah I loved Silent Hill 2 as well. I remember coming home from work on a Friday and playing it till two in the morning. Had to keep looking behind me.

User avatar
Le Cut Inside Mane
Posting Freak
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:45 am

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby Le Cut Inside Mane » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:59 pm

Macho Man Randy Savage wrote:From the other thead you made on this J Row

Macho Man Randy Savage wrote:I couldn't pick just one game for me that's impossible.

Multiplayer games it's : PES 6, Micro Machines 2, SF2 Turbo.

Single player: GTA : Vice City and San Andreas. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, Resi 4, Duke Nukem 3D, several Amiga games i have very fond memories of.


Prolly add MGS3 to the single player list as well now I think about it and Black Ops 1 to the multiplayer list.


Right where do I start ffs.

PES 6 is still the greatest football game ever to exist. Me and Jacques used to enter tournaments online on the PC version for a good few months. I got to a semi before I could get a semi.

I don't have turbo but I've got SF2:



As good as Vice City is and I'm a sucker for the 80's the sheer scale and things to do on San Andreas at the time was mind blowing. Have you seen the little cheeky easter egg they thrown in on V that throws back to San Andreas?

Yep Tony Hawks unreal, shout out to Matt Hoffman's Pro BMX too.

Fuckinghell Amiga games. My eldest brother had a knockoff 'porn' game and he wrote championship manager on the floppy to try and disguise it. Safe to safe that was the only floppy thing involved. Prince of Persia (been debating to speedrun this for a few months), Lemmings, Commando, C̶h̶a̶m̶p̶i̶o̶n̶s̶h̶i̶p̶ ̶M̶a̶n̶a̶g̶e̶r̶ Strip Poker...

User avatar
Oh Dear
Posting Freak
Posts: 35389
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:23 am
Location: My life is dope and I do dope sht.
Contact:

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby Oh Dear » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:06 am

Well if you're going back that far then Rolling Thunder on the Spectrum 128k + 2 has to get a mention.

User avatar
Macho Man Randy Savage
Posting Freak
Posts: 13389
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:33 pm

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby Macho Man Randy Savage » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:27 am

Le Cut Inside Mane wrote:
Macho Man Randy Savage wrote:From the other thead you made on this J Row

Macho Man Randy Savage wrote:I couldn't pick just one game for me that's impossible.

Multiplayer games it's : PES 6, Micro Machines 2, SF2 Turbo.

Single player: GTA : Vice City and San Andreas. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, Resi 4, Duke Nukem 3D, several Amiga games i have very fond memories of.


Prolly add MGS3 to the single player list as well now I think about it and Black Ops 1 to the multiplayer list.


Right where do I start ffs.

PES 6 is still the greatest football game ever to exist. Me and Jacques used to enter tournaments online on the PC version for a good few months. I got to a semi before I could get a semi.

I don't have turbo but I've got SF2:



As good as Vice City is and I'm a sucker for the 80's the sheer scale and things to do on San Andreas at the time was mind blowing. Have you seen the little cheeky easter egg they thrown in on V that throws back to San Andreas?

Yep Tony Hawks unreal, shout out to Matt Hoffman's Pro BMX too.

Fuckinghell Amiga games. My eldest brother had a knockoff 'porn' game and he wrote championship manager on the floppy to try and disguise it. Safe to safe that was the only floppy thing involved. Prince of Persia (been debating to speedrun this for a few months), Lemmings, Commando, C̶h̶a̶m̶p̶i̶o̶n̶s̶h̶i̶p̶ ̶M̶a̶n̶a̶g̶e̶r̶ Strip Poker...


The Dave Mirra BMX games were good as well. Coolboarders was shit hot in the early PS1 era.

User avatar
Le Cut Inside Mane
Posting Freak
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:45 am

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby Le Cut Inside Mane » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:21 pm

I actually meant Dave Mirra not Matt Hoffman :icon_lol:

You ever play Tenchu? loved it on the PS1, From Software who make Dark Souls and Bloodborne own the Tenchu IP and they released a teaser recently and it could be Tenchu :pounditrotate:


User avatar
Macho Man Randy Savage
Posting Freak
Posts: 13389
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:33 pm

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby Macho Man Randy Savage » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:57 pm

Tenchu :poundit:

User avatar
Oh Dear
Posting Freak
Posts: 35389
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:23 am
Location: My life is dope and I do dope sht.
Contact:

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby Oh Dear » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Anyone remember G Police?

Used to go round a friends house and we'd take turns doing the missions. Never finished it though as the last level was a mega hard escort mission.


User avatar
Macho Man Randy Savage
Posting Freak
Posts: 13389
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:33 pm

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby Macho Man Randy Savage » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:40 pm

Oh Dear wrote:Anyone remember G Police?

Used to go round a friends house and we'd take turns doing the missions. Never finished it though as the last level was a mega hard escort mission.



I never played it but I remember reading this article on it

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... nk-classic

User avatar
Oh Dear
Posting Freak
Posts: 35389
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:23 am
Location: My life is dope and I do dope sht.
Contact:

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby Oh Dear » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:23 am

Something that's just really taken me back is that I've been on the Playstation all afternoon, and it's just crashed. Not happened in years. I remember one of my mates losing an entire day on Football Manager because of that.

User avatar
Macho Man Randy Savage
Posting Freak
Posts: 13389
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:33 pm

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby Macho Man Randy Savage » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:12 am

My fucking hard drive went kaput on the PS4 last month. It didn't cost too much to replace and was easy to put in but ffs it was only just over 2 years old. Then having to update Battlefield 1 with a 28gig download...how has it come to this with these huge patches :wave:

It's possible to back up your game saves to the PS Plus cloud which I wasn't aware of and is worth doing in case your hard drive goes like mine did.

L8rb@se
Posting Freak
Posts: 21203
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby L8rb@se » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:44 am

Yeah I learned that lesson after spending 55 hours on Fallout New Vegas (without being anywhere close to finishing) and the hard drive field meaning I had to start the whole thing again. I was not very happy.

User avatar
legitimate first
Posting Freak
Posts: 3310
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:49 am
Location: vienna

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby legitimate first » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:52 am

Still Broken Sword, no game will make me feel remotely the way I felt playing this again.

Honourable mentions off the top of my head to Red Dead Redemption and Twisted Metal 2 World Tour.

Roly
Posting Freak
Posts: 5261
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:26 am
Contact:

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby Roly » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:03 am

Greatest football game ever was sensible soccer.

Used play road rash for hours on end with a mate.

L8rb@se
Posting Freak
Posts: 21203
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Favourite games of all time

Postby L8rb@se » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:13 pm

Bit of nostalgia here.



Return to “4thegames”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests