New Tomb Radier game

Van Halen are Fucking Pump
Posting Freak

New Tomb Radier game

Postby Van Halen are Fucking Pump » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:32 pm

Sounds alright.Although it reads like they may have paid for this review, someone else is going to have to buy this game and co-op with me.
Puzzle solving and shooting from the hip amid towering columns and clockwork mechanisms, against giant salamanders and godlike armoured beasts. New Look Lara is just terrific.

Download games take another significant step forward with ‘Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light’. First of all this is a bargain for 1200 Microsoft Points on Xbox LIVE (Xbox 360) or £9.99 on PSN (PS3) and Steam (PC). Even so, it’s a game that many people would be happy paying three times more for a boxed edition in the days of ye olde high street retail. Ignore that we’re talking about a digital download title if you can, because it may unfairly colour your judgement as it almost did ours.

Traditionally, Lara Croft as seen in the 'Tomb Raider' series has been viewed from the rear while gamers manually twist the viewpoint to find the next best possible route. Lara as we’ve known her basically grew up in an era when 3D games had to look 3D, the very popular over-the-shoulder look requiring that the hero remains centre frame while shooting at a conservative number of enemies. Lara’s role was to look good while players took aim or helped her to perform gymnastics.

For ‘Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light’ the celebrities are the dungeons and lairs themselves, reaching both vertically and horizontally, posing elaborate physics-based conundrums while Lara, and her new sidekick, ancient Mayan warrior Totec, dodge and shoot swarms of enemies. Such is the level of detail and tremendous artistic work gone into constructing and lighting the 14 locations in the initial download that you very rarely tire of scrutinising them. And scrutinise you must to emerge not only with the main treasure having defeated the bare-minimum bad guys, but with maximum points and additional rewards unlocked.

For this review we’ve mostly been enjoying ‘… Guardian of Light’ in single-player mode, and after nearing the end after six hours or so, have enjoyed every minute. Although the game is also playable in two-player co-op, there is no indication that this is a 2P experience adapted for 1P or vice-versa. We did spend an hour with co-op too, and noticed how the many puzzles adapt seamlessly for two players, but the end results feels no more enjoyable and certainly no less.

This is a game that has been expertly created with multiple play-through in mind. Mainly this is to improve high-scores by avoiding fatal mistakes, and to hunt down relics that enhance your character's capabilities of attack and defence. After this it may also be fun to chase after completion times, as additional relics are awarded for such things as defeating specific monsters or escaping traps within a certain number of minutes.

Everything about ‘Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light’ oozes class, with elaborate architecture disguising its function as an enormous self-contained puzzle with moveable parts. Lara and Totec appear tiny on-screen, but they along with the enemies they face are intricately animated. Sometimes it is a pity that the fabulous creature design cannot be appreciated up close, but everything in miniature is part of the appeal. That said, the very largest foes can take up half the screen. And rest assured that the special effects, that bring you exploding poisonous plants and lava lakes let you vividly imagine the toxic fumes and feel the heat.

‘Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light’ more than deserves the space on your console or PC hard drive. It's available now for Xbox 360 on Xbox LIVE, then 28 September for PlayStation 3 and Windows PC.
My life is dope and I do dope shit.

VAN HALEN
Posting Freak

RE: New Tomb Radier game

Postby VAN HALEN » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:27 am

£9.99 I'll gove it a go, don't mind Tomb Raider games.

Thats if you're getting it on PS3 you massive traitorous bi-consoled cunt whore :shant:

Darth Raiden

Postby Darth Raiden » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:46 am

I may get it too, but it will be on PS3 :shant: not that white heater of a console known as the eggbox3shitty

VAN HALEN
Posting Freak

Postby VAN HALEN » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:56 am

Maybe we should get it Raiden and not let oh dear play :hmmlol: :ninja:

Damie Karras
Posting Freak

Postby Damie Karras » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:04 am

The bit were it says "initial download"'worries me, these games released in instalments are going to be monsters on my poxy 40gb

Posting Freak

Postby Van Halen are Fucking Pump » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:16 am

Oh I keep forgetting you lot only have one console.It's like having one testicle.Like Hitler.You fucking racists.

VAN HALEN
Posting Freak

Postby VAN HALEN » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:21 am

Yeah well Leroy said to ask if you want your outfit back yet

Posting Freak

Postby Van Halen are Fucking Pump » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:24 am

I really don't know how to answer that, so I'll just stick Mass Effect on for a while before the match :icon_smug:

VAN HALEN
Posting Freak

Postby VAN HALEN » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:33 am

I don't even know what that is :cno:

So are you getting this on PS3 or not Primark-pants?

Posting Freak

Postby Van Halen are Fucking Pump » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:56 am

Yeah was going to get it on PS3.Not out till next month though, so I'll remind you all when it does.

Darth Raiden

Postby Darth Raiden » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:32 am

Oh I keep forgetting you lot only have one console.It's like having one testicle.Like Hitler.You fucking racists.

I have both PS3 and 360 :shant: :shant: :shant:

mcfly

Postby mcfly » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:01 am

Mass Effect 2 is coming to the PS3 Dave :shant:

Darth Raiden

Postby Darth Raiden » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:02 am

And all the DLC will be on the disc

VAN HALEN
Posting Freak

Postby VAN HALEN » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:53 pm

This thread is so fucking win :icon_lol:

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
Last edited by VAN HALEN on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posting Freak

Postby Van Halen are Fucking Pump » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:54 pm

I'm confident that it will be pony :shant:

Return to “4thegames”